San Francisco/New Delhi, May 13
In a stunning post, Tesla CEO Elon Musk on Friday said that he has put the $44 billion Twitter deal temporarily on hold till he gets to know how many fake or spam accounts are present on the micro-blogging platform.
"Twitter deal temporarily on hold pending details supporting calculation that spam/fake accounts do indeed represent less than 5 per cent of users," Musk said in a tweet to his over 92 million followers.
Twitter's share price plunged 19 per cent on the news of the deal being put on hold.
Musk posted a link of an earlier Reuters' story that reported that Twitter estimates spam, fake accounts comprise less than 5 per cent of users.
Twitter estimated in a filing earlier this week that false or spam accounts represented fewer than 5 per cent of its monetisable daily active users during the first quarter.
The micro-blogging platform had 229 million users in the first quarter.
Musk has signed a $44 billion deal to take over Twitter, of which he will pay $21 billion from his own pocket while the rest will come as a loan from a consortium of banks.
7 minutes agoKCR, Deve Gowda discuss 'topics of national importance'
10 minutes agoHectic preparations ahead of by-polls in Tripura
11 minutes agoMamta govt wants CM, not Governor, as Chancellor of state varsities
12 minutes ago4 injured after Dalit wedding procession attacked in Gujarat
13 minutes agoNeed to connect with IT for employment, revenue: Goa Minister
14 minutes agoArmy porter injured in Kupwara encounter succumbs
15 minutes agoTRS banners with 17 questions greet Modi in Hyderabad
36 minutes ago468 exotic animals seized in Mizoram, 5 held
45 minutes agoAnushka is not having an easy time on 'Chakda Xpress' prep
46 minutes agoNawaz to start shooting for 'Laxman Lopez' during winter in New York
47 minutes agoThriller 'On The Line' starring Mel Gibson to release in November 2022
48 minutes agoHrithik Roshan shares his last post with the 'Vikram Vedha' beard
49 minutes agoReecha Sinha on her latest romantic track 'Kanganey'