America
Jerusalem attack increases Israel's commitment to fight terrorism: Cabinet member
Tel Aviv, Nov 30
Benny Gantz, a member of Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's war cabinet, on Thursday said that the shooting incident at a bus stop Jerusalem that claimed the lives of three civilians, only increases the country's commitment to continue its fight against terrorism.
Two suspected Hamas operatives opened fire at people waiting at the bus stop in the outskirts of Jerusalem during the morning rush hour.
The attack occurred almost a year after the same bus stop witnessed a deadly bombing attack on November 23, 2022.
The two suspects were later neutralised by two off-duty soldiers and a civilian, according to the police.
In a post on X, Gantz, who is also a former Defence Minister, extended condolences and said that "this attack is further proof of our commitment to continue the fight with strength and determination against the murderous terrorism that threatens our citizens".
"In Jerusalem, Gaza, Yosh and everywhere," he added.
Israel's National Security Minister Itamar Ben Gavir had earlier said the shooters -- identified as brothers Murad Namr (38) and Ibrahim Namr(30) from East Jerusalem -- were Hamas militants operatives.
"These are apparently Hamas operatives, who speak here with two voices, one voice of a so-called cease-fire and a second voice of terror," Gavir told reporters.
The victims included a 24 year-old woman and a man in his 70s, with six others also injured in the attack.
One of the victims was pronounced dead on the scene by the Magen David Adom rescue service, and two others were pronounced dead at Shaare Zedek hospital.
Addressing mediapersons, police chief Doron Turgeman said the attackers were "armed with M-16 rifle and a pistol".
"They arrived with a car and opened fire at civilians,†he said.
The scene of the attack has been sealed off and an additional search is being carried out to “rule out any additional suspects", the police added.
In a post on X, formerly Twitter, US Ambassador to Israel Jack Lew said: “We unequivocally condemn such brutal violence.â€
The attack came just hours after Israel and Hamas agreed to extend the humanitarian truce in Gaza for a seventh day, just minutes before it was set to expire on Thursday.
1 hour ago
Badshah creates 'OG moment' with Raveena Tandon as the two groove on 'Kar Gayi Chull'
1 hour ago
Kunal Kemmu says 'Never Doubt your potential' as he flaunts his chiseled abs in a mirror selfie
1 hour ago
Suresh Krissna tells Rajinikanth: I’d want to be reborn as a director and hopefully direct another 'Annamalai', 'Baba', 'Baasha'
1 hour ago
Harshvardhan Rane takes 10-Day nature break after 38 days of planning
1 hour ago
Vijay Varma receives a special gift from Gulzar that left him feeling surreal
1 hour ago
Sydney Sweeney is handling fame 'incredibly well', says ‘Christy’ co-star Ben Foster
1 hour ago
NIA custody of Anmol Bishnoi extended by 7 days
1 hour ago
Kerala LoP Satheesan accuses CPI(M) of shielding criminals, defends Cong stand in Rahul MLA case
1 hour ago
No differences between us, we will work jointly for 2028 Assembly polls: K'taka CM, Dy CM declare unity
1 hour ago
Kerala HC to view Malayalam Film 'Haal' before deciding on certification appeal
1 hour ago
Delhi blast: Police seek details of foreign-educated doctors working in private hospitals
1 hour ago
Delhi court defers decision in National Herald case to Dec 16
1 hour ago
Sexual assault case: Suspended Cong MLA Mamkootathil's whereabouts 'unknown'
