America
Israel cancels Mossad chief's Qatar trip to resume hostage talks
Jerusalem, Dec 14
The Israeli government has cancelled Mossad chief David Barnea's planned trip to Qatar for the resumption of talks on a possible second hostage release deal, an informed source said on Thursday.
The 58-year-old, who became the Director of Israel's foreign intelligence service on June 2021, will not travel to Doha, where talks on the release of hostages held by Hamas militants in Gaza had taken place earlier, the source told CNN.
Israel’s Channel 13 first reported on Wednesday that the country's war cabinet, led by Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, had called off the trip.
It added that senior Israeli officials will not go to Qatar to restart negotiations.
The Mossad answers directly to the Prime Minister.
Around 240 people, from infants to octogenarians, were taken hostage during the Hamas’ attack on Israel on October 7.
The Israeli Prime Minister’s office believes 135 hostages remain in Gaza, 116 of whom are alive.
During the now-collapsed humanitarian pause from November 24-30, 86 Israeli and 24 foreign national hostages were released.
On Tuesday, two additional bodies were retrieved.
Before the pause, four civilian hostages had been released by Hamas, one Israeli soldier was rescued, and bodies of three hostages were retrieved.
Formal negotiations have not resumed since hostage talks that had been taking place in Doha broke down earlier this month.
But Israel, the US and Qatar have continued to discuss ways to try to jump start the discussions, CNN quoted sources as saying.
Meanwhile, families of some of the Israeli hostages were outraged by the decision to cancel Barnea's trip and demanded answers.
“We are fed up with the indifference and deadlock,†they said in a statement.
“The families were shocked by the report on the rejection of the Director of Mossad's request to formulate an agreement for the release of the hostages.
“This announcement comes in addition to the ignoring of the parents' request to meet with the Prime Minister and the Defence Minister, which have not yet been answered,†the statement added.
2 hours ago
Trump says Venezuela airspace should be considered 'closed in its entirely'
6 hours ago
Air crisis: Aviation experts react as 6,000 Airbus A320 jets grounded for software update
7 hours ago
Ashwini Vaishnaw flags off Swarnanagari Express, connecting Jaisalmer to Delhi
9 hours ago
Badshah creates 'OG moment' with Raveena Tandon as the two groove on 'Kar Gayi Chull'
9 hours ago
Kunal Kemmu says 'Never Doubt your potential' as he flaunts his chiseled abs in a mirror selfie
9 hours ago
Suresh Krissna tells Rajinikanth: I’d want to be reborn as a director and hopefully direct another 'Annamalai', 'Baba', 'Baasha'
9 hours ago
Harshvardhan Rane takes 10-Day nature break after 38 days of planning
9 hours ago
Vijay Varma receives a special gift from Gulzar that left him feeling surreal
9 hours ago
Sydney Sweeney is handling fame 'incredibly well', says ‘Christy’ co-star Ben Foster
9 hours ago
NIA custody of Anmol Bishnoi extended by 7 days
9 hours ago
Kerala LoP Satheesan accuses CPI(M) of shielding criminals, defends Cong stand in Rahul MLA case
9 hours ago
No differences between us, we will work jointly for 2028 Assembly polls: K'taka CM, Dy CM declare unity
9 hours ago
Kerala HC to view Malayalam Film 'Haal' before deciding on certification appeal
