Headlines
Quake-ravaged Nepal needs $6,663 mn for reconstruction: Government
Quake-ravaged Nepal needs $6,663 mn for reconstruction: Government
Kathmandu, June 13 The cost for reconstruction of the earthquake-ravaged Nepal is approximately $6,663.1 million, according to a Post-Disaster Needs Assessment (PDNA) carried out by the Nepal Planning Commission on Saturday.
Reconstruction of damaged physical infrastructures has become the most difficult task to the Nepal government after two major earthquakes jolted the Himalayan Nation on April 25 and May 12, Xinhua reported.
"Nepal needs approximately $6,663.1 million for brining the country back on track," the Prime Minister's Office said in a press release on Friday following a meeting chaired by Nepalese Prime Minister Sushil Koirala, who is also the chairman of the National Planning Commission (NPC).
The commission was all set to make public the Post-Disaster Needs Assessment details in a press conference in the Nepalis Capital Kathmandu on Saturday.
Bringing the dwindling economy back on track would be a very challenging task since the economy was badly affected by the 7.9 magnitude of earthquake that claimed 9,000 lives and leaving 22, 000 people injured. Various sectors including industry, agriculture, tourism, health and education were badly hit.
Setting up a National Reconstruction fund of $2 billion, the Nepali government last month urged the international community to contribute to the fund. The government had provided $200 million as the seed money for the fund.
In view of seeking to support mobilisation of resources for Nepal's reconstruction, the Nepali government is all set to host a donors' conference on June 25 in Kathmandu.
"This is going to be a major conference seeking to support mobilization of resources for Nepal's reconstruction in the aftermath of devastating earthquake and together with its subsequent aftershocks. Our intention is to invite the traditional as well as new partners, UN agencies and other relevant organisations," Officiating Foreign Secretary Shanker Das Bairagi told Xinhua.
13 hours ago
US: Afghan national charged with making terrorist threat in Texas
13 hours ago
Trump declares Venezuela airspace closed after threatening land action
13 hours ago
US: At least four people killed, 10 others injured in shooting in California
13 hours ago
Kerala Raj Bhavan to be renamed ‘Lok Bhavan’ from Dec 1
13 hours ago
Indian Navy's journey to self-reliance a matter of national pride: PM Modi on induction of INS Mahe
13 hours ago
Reforms reloaded after Bihar boost as Winter Session of Parliament begins tomorrow
13 hours ago
Delighted that winter tourism in U'khand is attracting lot of people: PM Modi
13 hours ago
'Heartwarming to see deep connection to sacred Buddha relics': PM Modi recalls Bhutan visit
13 hours ago
'Vocal for Local': Gifted 'Swadeshi' things to world leaders during G-20 Summit, says PM Modi
13 hours ago
MCD bypoll: Delhi CM votes in Shalimar Bagh, asks electors to join celebration of democracy
13 hours ago
Stalin govt 'bankrupting' universities, claims BJP
13 hours ago
Parliament Winter Session: Oppn flags key issues at all-party meet, criticises short duration
13 hours ago
Govt orders WhatsApp, Telegram, other apps to block access without active SIM
