Headlines
Fresh wreckage most likely from missing Malaysian plane MH370
Paris/Kuala Lumpur, July 30 The discovery of wreckage on the Indian Ocean island of Reunion has made authorities suspect it might be a part of Malaysian Airlines flight MH370 that mysteriously disappeared in March 2014, media reports said on Thursday.
MH370, en route from Kuala Lumpur to Beijing with 239 people onboard -- 227 passengers and 12 crew members -- vanished on March 8, 2014, the first and the only Boeing 777 to have disappeared over an ocean.
According to aviation experts, the wreckage found on Reunion, a French territory about 600 km east of Madagascar, on Wednesday does resemble a flaperon -- a moving part of the wing surface -- from a Boeing 777. Also found was the remains of a battered suitcase.
Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak said the findings will be shipped by French authorities to Toulouse for investigation, The Telegraph reported.
"To find out as soon as possible, the debris will be shipped by French authorities to Toulouse," he said.
"A Malaysian team is on the way to Toulouse now. It includes senior representatives from the ministry of transport, the department of civil aviation, the MH370 investigation team, and Malaysia Airlines," he added.
The piece of suitcase that may have been onboard flight MH370 lay unnoticed on a beach in La Reunion for nearly a day, a witness said.
"The piece of suitcase was here yesterday (Wednesday) but no one really paid any attention to it," the witness was quoted by the French daily, Le Parisien.
"You can see how a zip from the suitcase is still attached to a piece of rigid fabric," he said, adding "it's just surreal, it makes me shudder".
Earlier on Thursday, Malaysian Deputy Transport Minister Abdul Aziz Kaprawi said the piece of wreckage was "almost certainly" from a Boeing 777 aircraft.
"The flaperon is similar with that on a Boeing 777 aircraft. It's almost certain (that it is from a Boeing 777)," the minister told The Malaysian Star daily.
According to a CNN report, Australian Deputy Prime Minister Warren Truss said the discovery of the wreckage was "a very significant development" in the search to locate the ill-fated flight.
Truss said there was a number -- BB670 -- on the wreckage that may help investigators in the identification process. He said it wasn't a serial or registration number but could be a maintenance number.
Australia is leading the underwater search for the remains of Flight 370 in the southern Indian Ocean, some 3,700 km east of Reunion.
Jacquita Gonzales, the wife of the in-flight supervisor for the missing plane, told BBC that she was "torn" by the news.
"A part of me hopes that it is (MH370) so that I could have some closure and bury my husband properly but the other part of me says no because there is still hope," she said.
37 minutes ago
Ashwini Vaishnaw flags off Swarnanagari Express, connecting Jaisalmer to Delhi
2 hours ago
Badshah creates 'OG moment' with Raveena Tandon as the two groove on 'Kar Gayi Chull'
2 hours ago
Kunal Kemmu says 'Never Doubt your potential' as he flaunts his chiseled abs in a mirror selfie
2 hours ago
Suresh Krissna tells Rajinikanth: I’d want to be reborn as a director and hopefully direct another 'Annamalai', 'Baba', 'Baasha'
2 hours ago
Harshvardhan Rane takes 10-Day nature break after 38 days of planning
2 hours ago
Vijay Varma receives a special gift from Gulzar that left him feeling surreal
2 hours ago
Sydney Sweeney is handling fame 'incredibly well', says ‘Christy’ co-star Ben Foster
2 hours ago
NIA custody of Anmol Bishnoi extended by 7 days
2 hours ago
Kerala LoP Satheesan accuses CPI(M) of shielding criminals, defends Cong stand in Rahul MLA case
2 hours ago
No differences between us, we will work jointly for 2028 Assembly polls: K'taka CM, Dy CM declare unity
2 hours ago
Kerala HC to view Malayalam Film 'Haal' before deciding on certification appeal
2 hours ago
Delhi blast: Police seek details of foreign-educated doctors working in private hospitals
2 hours ago
Delhi court defers decision in National Herald case to Dec 16
