Headlines
Following flak, Kerala drops move to amend land rules
Thiruvananthapuram, Aug 4
A day after the
Kerala government's move to amend the land assignment rules to
regularise encroachments in the state's hilly areas came under fire from
several quarters, a Kerala minister on Tuesday said the move had been
dropped.
Revenue Minister Adoor Prakash told reporters on Tuesday
evening that the decision to drop the amendment came after the
"well-intentioned" move of the government was questioned in different
quarters.
"Our only aim was to see that we give title deeds to
many people, especially in Idukki district, as they have custody of the
land. But following the discussions and criticism, we felt that the said
order should be withdrawn," said Prakash.
The amendment was
brought in through a gazette notification on Monday, and it was meant to
help regularise occupation of government land, subject to a cut-off
date of June 1, 2005, and a maximum of four acres.
People
possessing land but not a legal title in hilly districts like Idukki,
Wayanad and Pathanamthitta were expected to benefit.
Chief
Minister Oommen Chandy said after the order came out on Monday that
successive governments had tried to act in the matter, but it got
delayed for various reasons.
However, senior party legislator and
state Congress vice president V.D. Satheesan on Tuesday reacted sharply
and said the decision was taken without discussion.
"This order
came as a surprise and a decision that defies logic. This issue was
never discussed either in the party or in the United Democratic Front.
Under no circumstances can this be allowed to be implemented," said
Satheesan.
Leader of the Opposition V.S. Achuthanandan said the
order will only benefit resort and quarry mafia who had usurped revenue
and forest land.
Former Idukki Lok Sabha member and Congress leader P.T. Thomas said he was shocked to hear about the new order.
"A detailed study should be conducted to find out the implications of this move. We will then know who benefits," said Thomas.
There
was also criticism that the new order will turn detrimental as more
than 500 cases of land encroachment in these hilly districts, in which
the state government is a party, are expected to come up in the Kerala
High Court shortly.
"I came across media reports that due to the
new order, cases against usurping of government land might get affected.
That was one of the reasons for withdrawing the order," said Prakash.
